Horse Riding - Sheep - Gnúpverjaafréttur
Gather sheep from the mountains
Difficulty: Strong Intermediate Riders
On this tour we join the farmers in South Iceland when they gather thousands of sheep from the mountains. We experience Icelandic horses at their best, sure-footed and eager to fulfill the task set for them every autumn.
Our host Sigrún from Fossnes Farm actively participates in the round-ups with her family and we will meet them and their friends, tired but happy, after their successful return from the mountains. Fossnes plays a major role in the annual round-up since the flock spends one last night in the meadows before finally being sorted and returned to their owners. On our way to the farm we visit Thingvellir National Park, the ancient assembly fields of the Icelandic parliament, Gullfoss Waterfall and the hot springs of the Geysir area. On our way back to Reykjavík we visit the well known spa Blue Lagoon.
We have added the fourth riding day to this popular tour, a day that will take us into the mountains and valleys in the homeland of Fossnes Farm. This will be a relaxed day and will give everybody the chance of getting better acquainted with the Icelandic horse. The next day our ride leads towards the highlands along good riding tracks, through black ash from Mt. Hekla eruptions. The mountain cabin at Hólaskógur offers shelter to the farmers who have been gathering sheep for days. We join the flock down from the mountains, but there is still time to explore the many sights, such as the beautiful Gjáin Valley and picturesque Hjálparfoss Waterfall. The fourth riding day brings us to the round-up pen where the sheep are sorted and returned to their owners. We sing with the farmers celebrating the successful journey into the highlands to secure the livestock.
The sheep round-up tour intertwines tradition, nature and history leaving nobody untouched by the Icelandic spirit of togetherness. Four nights on this tour are spent at Fossnes Farm. After each day in the saddle we can relax in a comfortable outdoor hot tub. The first and last night are spent in a hotel in Reykjavík.
Day by Day Itinerary
Included in package
• Airport transfer if you participate in the tour program as described.
• Accommodation in Reykjavík before and after the riding tour, includes breakfast only, not lunch and dinner. Traditional Icelandic stew is served on the arrival day.
• During the ride full board is provided. Our menu consists of a large breakfast and traditional Icelandic meals (fish or lamb). Vegetarian meals are available if requested in advance. All riders make their own packed lunch from the breakfast table.
• Rain wear, saddle bag and riding helmet.
Not Included in package
• Individual travel insurance is not included in the tour price. We encourage clients to obtain relevant travel insurance before visiting Iceland.
• Flight to and from Iceland is not included.
Riding Skills: Strong intermediate riders: Capable of handling horses in open country
Date: 2011: Monday – Sunday, September 12 - 18
Group Size: Max 20 Guests
Duration: 7 days – 6 nights – 4 riding days – 120 km
Accommodation: Hotel accommodation in Reykjavík. 2 - 4 bed units at the farm.
Meeting place: Keflavík International Airport
Optional: Dance at the community center Árnes, entrance fee to be paid locally.
Price: 1150 EUR