This unique tour includes some of the best Icelandic experiences: glacier hiking and blue ice exploration. Walk on the surface of a rugged glacier tongue, explore all the secret locations of Sólheimajökull Glacier!
Duration: 4.5/~11 hours
Pick-up: 09:00 AM
Departure time: 13:00 PM
Group maximum: 12
Available: All year
Age limit: 10 years
- Small Group Experience
- Solheimajokull Glacier Hike
- Seljalandsfoss Waterfall (From Reykjavik)
- Skogafoss Waterfall (From Reykjavik)
- Hike on Sólheimajökull glacier
- Certified glacier guide
- Crampons and all necessary glacier gear
- Optional pick up in Reykjavík or from one of our South Coast pick up locations
For those who don't choose the Reykjavik pick up option, the meeting point is at the Sólheimajökull Glacier parking lot, in South Iceland. You will find your guide by the yellow school bus in the parking lot.
If you need a ride from Reykjavik, select the tour with transfer included when you book. The transfer will be in a comfortable minibus with free wifi.
What to wear:
Dress in 3 or 4 layers to keep warm and dry:
- light long sleeves or t-shirts (preferably wool) next to the skin
- fleece or heavy wool garment
- waterproof windbreaker.
- Jeans and cotton clothing items are not recommended for our trips as they become very heavy, cold and uncomfortable to wear when they get wet.
- For the glacier hike, we also recommend using sunglasses and sunscreen even if it is cloudy due to the high UV and sunlight reflecting off of the glacier.
- You will need sturdy hiking boots that fit crampons for the glacier hiking tour.
- If you do not own a pair, then we rent out good hiking boots, as well as a waterproof raincoat and trousers.
- The tour is offered either as a Meet on Location tour at Sólheimajökull glacier or with a pick-up from Reykjavik. Please specify which option you prefer at checkout.
- The tour that includes a pickup from Reykjavík stops at Seljalandsfoss waterfall all year long.
- Due to limited daylight periods, we are not able to stop at Skógafoss in wintertime (Nov 16-Jan 31).
- From January 31st throughout the Spring, Summer, and Autumn until 16th November, we stop at both of the waterfalls on this tour
- The Meet on Location tour (from Sólheimajökull) does not include the waterfall stops.
Our team of enthusiastic glacier experts - led by our favorite, furry glacier guide, Bilbo, the Samoyed puppy - is always exploring the wonderland of the glacier. Lately, he’s been finding all sorts of exciting glacier features on Solheimajokull. Now Bilbo wants to take you on an adventure!
Glaciers - the Essence of Iceland
Covering about 11% of Iceland’s land area (including the country's most active volcanoes), glaciers have always played a major role in forming Iceland’s landscape and climate. Get up close and personal with the glaciers on this glacier hiker.
Glaciers in Iceland are massive, at a scale and accessibility encountered in few other places on earth. Be prepared to encounter the extreme power and beauty that nature can wield. These incredibly interesting, ever-changing phenomena hide countless unexplored secrets and natural curiosities.
Some of these hidden, rare treasures include fascinating sinkholes and tunnels.
About the Tour
Glacier Hike & Blue Ice Exploration
On this tour, we’ll take you on a memorable walk across the surface of a beautiful glacier tongue that extends out of Myrdalsjokull, Iceland’s fourth largest glacier. This scenic outlet glacier is called Sólheimajökull, meaning the “home of the sun.” It is located just off of the Ring Road on Iceland’s South Coast, 98 miles (158 km) away from the capital.
Strap on Crampons
The tour will begin with a short safety briefing at the Solheimajokull glacier base camp. Your expert guide will tell you everything about the safety gear you’ll be using (crampons, a harness, an ice ax, and a helmet) and all about the hike that awaits you.
This is a moderate activity, which means that you’ll be walking on bumpy, uneven terrain and will need to be able to hike 1.5 hours each way on the ice (3 hours round trip). You can expect some mild ascents and descents but no special experience is required for this walk. Anyone with an average physical health and fitness level should be able to complete this tour.
The hike will take you onto the glacier. Led by a trained glacier guide, walk on the totally alien terrain of the ancient ice mass, passing by thrilling crevasses, blue sinkholes, and rugged ice ridges. You’ll have photo stops along the way and the guide will tell you all about the geology of the area and the glacier itself, such as when and how it was formed, as well as other interesting facts.
After you have filled both your eyes and your camera with all of this natural beauty, you’ll return to the base camp.
Join us in exploring the secret blue wonderland of Sólheimajökull!
For those choosing the roundtrip pick up from Reykjavik
On the way back to the capital, we will stop by some majestic waterfalls. When the length of the daylight allows us (16th Nov - 31st Jan) we’ll stop by the beautiful waterfall of Skógafoss which is located in the beautiful Skógar area and is also the inspiration to dozens of folklore tales. We recommend to hike up the right side of the waterfall to see the troll’s face that stares at the waterfall for all eternity after forgetting time and turning into stone admiring Skógafoss.
We will also stop (all year round) at the stunning Seljalandsfoss waterfall on the Seljalands River which flows all the way down from the famous volcano, Eyjafjallajökull!
Map - (click to enlarge)
Disclaimer: Glaciers are an ever-changing phenomenon and highly dependent on weather conditions. Therefore, we reserve the right to alter or cancel the tour if conditions are not safe.