Join us in the shadow of Vatnajökull, Europe’s largest glacier, to scale Iceland’s tallest mountain – Hvannadalshnúkur. It’s ideal for physically fit mountaineers who want to push their bodies and minds to the limit. The feeling of taming the mighty mountain is almost as good as the view that you get from the top, so join this adrenaline-pumping adventure and seize this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!
Duration: 12-15 hours
Departure time: 05:00
Group maximum: 6
Available: Apr. - Jul.
Age limit: 16 years
Meeting point information:
- We’ll meet at our sales lodge next to the Skaftafell Visitor Center, at the time confirmed in your booking email.
- Please note, that this tour is a meet on location tour, and we do not offer a dedicated pickup service
- This is a small group tour, requiring a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 6 participants per guide.
- You do not need any technical skills to participate on the tour, however, we will provide a recommended equipment list and we strongly suggest that you bring what is included on it.
- Warm clothing is essential - you should wear warm bottom and top layers, a hat, a scarf, gloves, and a waterproof outer layer.
- Sturdy hiking shoes are an absolute must, if you do not have any of the items mentioned, then we can lend them to you at an extra cost. If you intend to use this service, then you must specify during the booking process, as we cannot provide them on the day.
- The climb will take between 12 and 15 hours.
- We recommend leaving a few days free before and after the scheduled departure date, as we may need to make alterations to the tour, based on the weather conditions.
- The safety of our guests is paramount, and we reserve the right to cancel the tour at any time if the conditions dictate.
- You do not need any technical skills to take part in this tour, however, you must be in good physical health. The climb lasts between 12 and 15 hours and is both physically and mentally challenging. You must be able to spend 12-15 hours doing strenuous exercise to partake in this tour.
- The Skaftafell parking lot fee is not included in the tour price.
For further information: Contact Us
Your friendly guide will meet you at our sales lodge in the Skaftafell parking lot - to check your gear, go through the order of the day and give a quick safety briefing. From there we’ll head towards Vatnajökull, Europe’s largest glacier, where our adventure begins.
Vatnajökull is a vast snow-carpeted natural wonder that measures a massive 8,100 kilometers (3127 square miles). It hides Hvannadalshnúkur – Iceland’s tallest peak that measures a remarkable 2100m / 6900 ft. Hidden beneath it is the Öræfajökull volcano – making it the perfect example of Iceland’s
nickname – the land of fire and ice.
Our grueling climb takes between 12 and 15 hours, depending on your experience level and will push you to your physical and mental limit. Along the way, we’ll be able to appreciate the glorious glacial landscape – famed for its rugged crevasses, exquisite ice sculptures, and picturesque scenery.
As we start to near the end of our punishing ascent, spectacular vistas will start to unfold before our eyes. Vatnajökull will sprawl before us and you’ll finally understand how massive this natural wonder is. You’ll see its unique landscape that contains craters, volcanoes and a pristine carpet of snow. Along with its many outlet glaciers that unfurl like icy carpets from the main body of the glacier. We’ll also enjoy views of Vatnajökull National Park and the many brilliant blue rivers that spiral off Vatnajökull.
This tour is ideal for intrepid adventurers who want to test their limits. So, come on this adrenaline- pumping hike on Hvannadalshnúkur – see Europe’s largest glacier from above and create memories that will last you a lifetime!