This combination day tour will take you on a horse-ride in the picturesque Icelandic countryside and then in search of the ethereal Northern Lights.
Duration: ~11 hours
Available: Sept. - April
Age limit: 6 years
- Horseriding in Icelandic Nature
- Mt. Helgafell
- Lava Fields
- Warm Drinks
- Magnificent Mountain views
- Northern Lights search
- Free aurora photos taken
- Expert Aurora Guide
- We’ll collect you from one of our designated pickup points in Reykjavik for the horse-riding part of the tour and drop you back at the same place when it has finished. Picking everyone up can take up to 30 minutes, your patience is much appreciated.
- Pickup for the Northern Lights tour is at 21:30 pm from your hotel or a nearby meeting point in Reykjavík. Picking everyone up can take up to 30 minutes, your patience is much appreciated.
- Available pick-up points: Extreme Iceland pick-up list.
- The temperatures in Iceland can vary dramatically, but we always recommend bringing warm clothing for our horse-riding tours. Waterproof clothing is also essential.
- Hiking boots or very sturdy footwear, warm outdoor layers, a weatherproof top layer, headwear, gloves, and scarves. There is no such thing as too many layers on a Northern Lights tour! We also recommend bringing a tripod for your camera.
What if I don’t own all of these clothing items?
Don’t worry, you can always rent sturdy hiking shoes, waterproof jacket, and pants during the booking process. We do not rent gear from locations, it must be ordered in advance.
- When our horse-riding tour begins, we’ll organize the riders according to ability, to guarantee that everyone has a comfortable and fun experience. The slow group will spend most of their time walking, while the faster group will go quicker.
- We recommend that children below the age of 12, stay with the slower group and that they’re accompanied by a guardian, although we may make exceptions for very experienced young riders. We always do our absolute best to ensure that all rides take place in small groups with a maximum of 20 riders.
- The entire tour will take 2 hours in total and is the best way to explore the wonders that the Icelandic countryside has to offer.
- Part of the magic of the Northern Lights is their elusiveness, it is impossible for us to guarantee that the weather conditions will be right for the Northern Lights on any particular day, thus we reserve the right to cancel this part of the tour until 18:15 on the day of the tour. If this happens, then we will fully refund your payment.
- If the tour goes ahead and we don’t see the Northern Lights, then you can choose to book the tour on another evening free of charge. Please note that you are
contractually obliged to rebook in this circumstance and all tours are subject to availability.
For further information: Contact Us
Children (6-15 years): 14 990
If there’s a better way to explore the rolling countryside that surrounds the city of Reykjavik, than from the back of a traditional Icelandic horse, then we haven’t heard of it. So, join our friendly guides at our Reykjavik riding center for a day filled with nature, wildlife and the thrill of riding a trusty steed that dates back to Viking times! Then, journey out into the night in search of the Northern Lights, which illuminate the Arctic sky during the winter – an awe-inspiring experience that should feature on every bucket list. If you want to enjoy a great day near Reykjavik, then this combination day tour is ideal for you!
Horse Riding near Reykjavík
We’ll collect you in one of our specially designed super jeeps and take you on the scenic drive to our stables just outside Reykjavik. There we’ll introduce you to our friendly horses and ensure that each rider has one that is the right size for them. Then we’ll head out into Iceland’s rural heartland on a ride along excellent riding paths, where you can enjoy the expansive lava fields and green meadows.
You’ll also get to know your traditional Icelandic horse, which has remained largely unchanged for 1000 years. They are especially famous for their unique gait, which is known as a tolt and means that they always have at least 3 hooves on the ground. When we return to the stables you can enjoy a free hot drink and ask our staff about the wonderful Icelandic horses that have carried us on our journey.
Northern Lights Hunt
We’ll drop you back at your chosen pickup point after your horse-riding adventure, so you can enjoy a bite to eat and then collect you from the same place and head out in search of the Northern Lights! It’s impossible to know exactly where our hunt will take us, however, we promise that we’ll end up in a remote place where we can enjoy the Northern Lights in all their splendid glory.
Once we have arrived there, we’ll turn our heads to the heavens and wait for the flickering colors to dance across the night sky. The most common auroras are green and yellow, although we also see blue, violet and rose. If you are really lucky, then you might catch a glimpse of an elusive red aurora – the rarest, which happen more in Iceland than everywhere else.
Whatever color the Northern Lights decide to come in, we promise that it will be a breathtaking and unforgettable experience. They are caused by the diffraction of light waves when they hit particles in the earth’s atmosphere and have wowed philosophers, theologists, and scientists for centuries. Words cannot express just how beautiful the Northern Lights are, so we recommend checking out the selection of photos that we’ve snapped with our specially designed camera, so you can see for yourself!