This exhilarating tour combines two of our most popular tours into one incredible package – offering participants the opportunity to go on a heart-pumping snowmobile ride across Europe’s largest glacier, before journeying into its depths to explore a stunningly beautiful ice cave. It is perfect for anyone who wants to go on an adventure and see some truly mesmerizing natural scenery – making it a must for anyone visiting the land of fire and ice. The entire tour takes place with one of our expert guides – providing fascinating information about the natural wonders that you will be seeing. If you love adrenaline-pumping adventure, set to a spectacular natural backdrop, then this is the ideal tour for you.
Duration: 3 hours
Available: January - March
Age limit: 8 years
- Ice Caving Tour
- Small group experience
- Jökulsárlón- Glacier Lagoon
Good to know:
Anyone riding a snowmobile is legally required to have a valid driving license with them at all times.
There is a minimum of two participants per tour.
Meeting Point is at Jökulsárlón-Glacier Lagoon, 30 minutes before departure time.
GPS Coordinates: 64.0478597,-16.1789879
Extra fee for one person on snowmobile, 9.000 ISK
Due to conditions on the glacier we have not been able to open up for availability. In the meantime we highly recommend our Glacier Snowmobile & Ice Cave tour from Gullfoss.
If a tour participant causes damage to the snowmobile or any other piece of equipment – they will be liable for that damage and will have to pay for the repairs.
The day begins next to the iconic Jökulsárlón- Glacier Lagoon, renowned for the diamond-like icebergs that float across its crystalline surface. One of our friendly guides will meet you there, to tell you about what you will be doing on the day and give you a quick safety briefing. Then, one of our specially designed Super Jeeps will collect us and take us on the scenic journey to the Vatnajökull Glacier.
Vatnajökull (the water glacier), is the largest glacier in Europe, covering 8% of Iceland’s entire landmass. It towers above the Vatnajökull National Park and also covers several active volcanos. Its most recognizable feature is the 2,200-metre-high peak, known as Hvannadalshnjúkur, which dominates its skyline. It is also famous for the many outlet glaciers that unfurl from the main glacier, creating a unique and beautiful natural wonder that everyone is bound to enjoy. Once we arrive at Vatnajökull – our friendly guide will provide us with all the equipment that we need and show everyone how to operate the snowmobiles. Then once everyone is ready we will drive out onto Vatnajökull itself for a heart-pounding adventure that is bound to remain with you for the rest of your life.
Snowmobiling on a glacier is a unique and wonderful experience that combines adrenaline-pumping adventure and spectacular natural scenery. You will immediately be struck by the sheer size of the glacier – a massive expanse of untouched snow, occasionally interrupted by a craggy rock formation or amazing ice sculpture. Vatnajökull is also home to a series of idyllic mountain valleys, which are contrasted by a plethora of imposing mountain peaks, ensuring that you have a wonderful time while you are there. One of our expert guides will be with you to give you facts about the things that you are seeing and teach you all about the fascinating history of glaciers.
Then, we will head towards a seemingly innocuous entrance that will take us down into the magical sub-glacial world that exists in the heart of Vatnajökull. There we will find a dazzling ice cave – whose mesmerizing walls are dyed various shades of brilliant white and blue. Ice caves form during the winter months – creating breathtakingly beautiful oases that melt once the summer comes again. Your friendly guide will tell you everything that you need to know about these magical places and we guarantee an experience that you will treasure forever!
- Anyone riding a snowmobile is legally required to have a valid driving license with them at all times.
- The tour takes place on a glacier – meaning that it is almost certain to be cold, we strongly recommend that participants bring warm outdoor clothing and sturdy hiking boots.
- All our tours are fairly active – meaning that anyone participating in them needs to be reasonably fit.
- It is imperative that customers inform our guides if they suffer from any health issues.
- Customers will receive all full refund if they cancel more than 48 hours prior to the tour.
- If the tour is canceled by us, then customers will be entitled to a full refund.
- All tour participants are responsible for their actions and we take no responsibility for accidents that are either caused by customers or that can be traced to their actions.
- We offer no guarantee that there won’t be other tours taking place in the same area as our tour.
- There is a minimum of two participants per tour.