This wonderful single day combination tour will take you back in time to an era when ice ruled the world. You’ll start with a pulsating snowmobile ride on Langjökull Glacier – the ideal way to explore the surface of an icy natural wonder. From there we’ll travel down into the glacier’s icy depths and explore a man-made ice cave that travels through the heart of the glacier. We’ll also stop at Hraunfossar and Barnafoss on our journey back to Reykjavik – the perfect end to an exciting day. If you want to see some icy natural wonders in the flesh, then this tour is perfect for you.
See the elemental power of ice on this snowmobile and ice cave combo tour!
Duration: ~11 hours
Available: All Year
Age limit: 6 years
- Langjokull Glacier
- Exciting Snowmobiling
- A journey into the amazing man-made Ice Cave
- Hraunfossar - Lava Waterfalls
- Barnafoss - Children's Waterfall
- Local Guide
- Necessary Snowmobile Equipment
- Free WiFi on Board Your Bus
- English Speaking Tour Guide
- Coach Bus Transport
- We'll confirm the exact pick-up time in the booking confirmation email – please check your inbox
- Please make sure that you arrive at your chosen pick-up point in plenty of time, to avoid delays to the tour.
- The process of picking everyone up can last 30 minutes, we thank you for your patience in advance.
- For a full list of our designated pick-up points, follow this link.
- The tour lasts between 10 & 11 hours.
- It’s available all year round (depending on the weather).
- Please dress according to the weather – we recommend warm top and bottom layers, waterproof clothing, a hat, gloves, a scarf, and sturdy shoes. If you do not own any of these items, then you may be able to rent them from us during the booking process (please note this service is not available on the day of the tour)
- We recommend that you bring your own headphones for the audio tour guide – as they will fit you better. You can also purchase headphones from us on the day.
- Children over the age of 6 may be a passenger during the snowmobile tour.
- You must have a valid driving license to operate a snowmobile.
- You must be over the age of 18 to operate a snowmobile.
- Each snowmobile will be shared by two passengers. Single customers will be paired with another person who they share a snowmobile with. We will make a stop halfway so the drivers can switch if they want to.
- The temperature in the ice cave will be well below freezing, please ensure that you dress accordingly.
- We reserve the right to alter or cancel the tour if the conditions dictate.
- We provide a full refund if the tour is canceled due to the weather.
For further information: Contact Us
Youth (12-15): 19 995
Children (6-11): 0
Want to do this trip for free? Tag us @extremeiceland on your social media stories and photos during your trip and enter a chance to win a full refund. The winner will be picked once a month!
We’ll pick you up from you pre-agreed Reykjavik pick-up point and make the scenic journey to Húsafell. Our state-of-the-art buses are equipped with intelligent audio guides, allowing you to learn about the many fascinating things that we pass along the way. Upon arrival at Húsafell, you can grab a bite to eat or use the restroom before we continue to Langjökull Glacier – the location of our snowmobile adventure.
Our snowmobile tours are suitable for people of all abilities and you don’t need any previous snowmobiling experience to join in. Our expert guides will provide you with all the equipment that you need, show you how to operate a snowmobile and provide a quick safety briefing. So, whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned pro – you’re bound to enjoy this thrilling snowmobile adventure!
Langjökull is one of the most impressive glaciers in the world – comprised of an endless sea of untouched snow extending far into the horizon. Snow-capped mountains and imposing volcanoes surround it – creating a stunning backdrop for our exhilarating ride. Your friendly guide will tell you all about the history of glaciers and show you how they’ve made Iceland’s landscape so unique. They’ll also take you to the most photogenic spots – allowing you to immortalize the experience in film.
The highlight of the tour is the snowmobiling itself – a liberating experience that will allow you to escape from the modern world and immerse yourself in nature. Feel your heart pound as you weave in and out of the ice and explore a natural wonder in style. We'll spend around 45 minutes snowmobiling on the glacier and then visit the manmade ice cave that is hidden beneath it.
Langjökull Ice Cave
Langjökull is one of Iceland’s most mysterious glaciers and natural ice caves rarely form inside of it. Iceland’s best engineers and geophysicists decided to change this, by creating a stunning manmade ice tunnel that travels beneath the glacier.
We’ll spend about an hour in total inside the ice cave – seeing a myriad of majestic ice structures that are dyed various shades of vivid blue and brilliant white. One of our friendly guides will be with you every step of the way to tell you more about glaciers and make sure you get some wonderful photos. Seeing what lies beneath a glacier is a wonderful experience that is a prominent part of every reputable bucket list. Join us in Langjökull and travel back in time to a long-lost icy world!
Hraunfossar and Barnafoss
We’ll make a brief stop at Hraunfossar and Barnafoss on the way back to Reykjavik – capping off an exciting day.
Hraunfossar (the lava falls) is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful waterfalls in Iceland. It’s blessed with some of the most incredible geology of the world and literally pours out of a vast lava field. This means that its cascade is created by thousands of tiny streams that combine into one body of pulsating water. The lava field is colorful and covered in vegetation – making for some amazing photo opportunities.
Barnafoss is completely different to Hraunfossar and its waters have a mysterious, milky quality that looks totally otherworldly. We’ll learn all about the tragic story that earnt it the name ‘the children’s waterfall’ and explore the beauty of the surrounding area. We’ll arrive back in Reykjavik sometime in the evening – after an action-packed 11-hour tour.
Disclaimer: Disclaimer: All snowmobiling trips are undertaken on the responsibility of its participants. We do not assume any responsibility for accidents which are caused by its customers or can be traced to their own actions. Participants have to sign a waiver before undertaking all trips stating that they realize that all outdoor activities carry an inherit risk.